Monday, 30 December 2013

when art practice = spiritual practice

My computer desktop, e-mail inbox and studio have never been emptier. Since submitting my thesis, having the exhibition and doing my artist's talk there is nothing driving me. I don't start back at my 'job' (paid work) for another couple of weeks so I've been telling myself to relax, do nothing, have a rest. Truth is I have little motivation or energy anyway. 

I have been throwing myself in the ocean to surf each morning and lying around watching old movies in the afternoon. Occasionally I wander aimlessly in my now sparsely furnished studio after reorganising it when the big paintings were loaded on the truck for Perth. I still don't know what I am going to do with them when they come back - I like my new spacious studio the way it is.

It's all very well taking a break from 'work', except for me my 'art practice' is also my 'spiritual practice'. It has been this way for a very long time - no wonder I am feeling a little bereft.

There are things I discovered along the way that I want to explore now that I am free to do so, so I don't need to reinvent myself - the process is ongoing. Throughout my study I never lost sight of the reasons I make images in the first place. However, as part of this re-evaluation, I do feel the need to go back to the core of what my art is about and why I do it. The very significant insights I have had into the role of images in human consciousness will no doubt influence what I do next, and it is this I want to pursue. 

The study and research will continue - it is what I do, it is why I am here on the planet. I am on a mission and that won't change until I have reached a point of wisdom where I don't feel the need to pursue anything. Only then will I be able to truly rest.

4 comments:

  1. Whenever I have a house inspection i feel the same way..my studio is clean, paper stacked, brushes cleaned and I don't want to change a thing. I find myself walking around the space, happy in the empty room. I think this is healthy and allows me to move forward in new directions. I have a feeling that if I didn't rent my studio would keep piling up in the old ideas. Maybe the studio is a physical representation of our own individualization...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are absolutely right Anne. Periods of emptiness are critical, and chucking stuff out is an important part of constantly evolving. We own our house so I have to be vigilant about not accumulating too much stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, your studio looks great - a wide open space to create anew.
    I'm really curious to see what happens with you when your paintings are returned. Can you let us know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have spent the last 2 days clearing and throwing out stuff from under the house so I can wrap the 4 big panels in heavy black builder's plastic and store them there. I don't have a use for them but I don't want to throw them out (just yet) I don't kow why. My sister-in-law wanted the B & W one, but....I'll let you know what happens Sarah.

    ReplyDelete

ends & beginnings

Today marks the end of 16 years of continuous study - starting with an arts degree, on to Honours, a Phd, then graphic design and concept ...