Tuesday, 15 September 2015

skater boy WIP


Had a bit of difficulty deciding on a strategy for the background. I did a ballpoint pen drawing and imported to Photoshop to create a psd file. Then I tried vectorising in Illustrator and even inking with the pen tool. I am not a huge fan of the perfect inked line the pen tool tends to create when you are inexperienced with it (as I am). Finally settled on this - isolated the line and now colouring in Manga Studio on a layer underneath.

I am enjoying the brush because it is giving me a mottled texture rather than super smooth saturated colour. Maybe not as good as the stock background provided by Manga Studio but more in keeping with the figure. I like the layout of the background better too as it gives it more depth. Works for me anyway.

2 comments:

  1. It looks good, but my mind immediately goes to what's not in the picture—where is he jumping from and where is he going to land?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fantasy - he will eventually be jumping over a moon with craters etc (which will replace the sphere)

    ReplyDelete

folio time

Finishing up my digital drawing course in the next couple of weeks. I'm adding pieces to my Artstation folio as I finish them. This ...