Skip to main content

self-reinvention


It's a cliche because it's true - the only certainty, is that nothing is certain. Life has taken an expected but nevertheless challenging turn. Rather than let others decide my fate I've made the decision myself. In a few weeks I will be cranking up my graphic design business - Dr GrafixGraphic design is different to visual art but it isn't a completely new field - it's more of a parallel lane than a completely new highway.

But first I need to nurture my creative soul after what has been a very difficult 3 years in my 10+ year career as a TAFE lecturer. There are some difficult emotions to work through and I am feeling battered but I don't think it will take long to rid myself of the feeling of oppression I have been living under - I feel lighter already. I may even start to blog regularly again. Unfortunately when you work for the government it is necessary to self-censor.

I will keep studying for my Diploma of Graphic Design. I am doing quite well. I won a student competition with 5 illustrations and am often asked by tutors if they can use my work as an example for other students. I also need to create a new website and finally get my portfolio sorted out before taking on some self-promotion.

The prospect of a new career at my age is daunting but I am feeling reasonably confident I can make the transition. I am used to jumping off the cliff but it gets harder as you get older because you don't bounce quite as well. Stay tuned.

Comments

  1. Ahh you are awesome Michelle. Best wishes with your new venture x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sarah.

    Since writing this I have been offered a few hours teaching art for the prison. It won't interfere with what I do for the university there.

    I have also made some other decisions based on what I think is realistic in terms of my future direction. I doubt I have the temperament to design business cards and logos for a living, even if the work is actually out there. X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment