Skip to main content

'ill-winds' can be liberating


They say it's an ill-wind that blows nobody any good - there are always positives to come from what at the time seems like a bit of a disaster. For the past 2 years I have been studying for a graphic design qualification to keep my job at TAFE. Losing that job meant I no longer needed to continue with that particular course. I have learnt enough to do small design jobs anyway. I felt sad about chucking it in but also liberated - because it meant I was free to do what I wanted (as long as I can keep enough work to pay the bills).

So I have switched to another course in concept development and illustration which trains people for jobs in the 3D gaming and film industries. I have no ambition to work in those areas but the course encourages me to indulge my love of illustration and at this late stage in my life - I am honing my digital drawing skills and getting great tuition.



The image above is called a 'paintover' - it's the sort of work illustrators do in the industry. The 3D guys make the basic environment and concept illustrators add the narrative. We were given the screen shot (top) and asked to reset the time of day to sunrise or sunset and make any other changes we wanted to. Most of this was done with adustment layers and blending modes in Photoshop, but more imaginative decisions will follow.

Comments

  1. Wow, big changes going on then Michelle. I think you'd be great at gaming illustration. What an exciting field. The imagery is wonderfully apocalyptic. Always liked a good apocalypse and my favourite touch is the graffiti.

    The work thing is so full on. I'm not sure where I'm going with that either at the moment. I have an extra, bizarre layer: of people reading about me in the West while I make them a coffee at BP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know that one Sarah. It's like there is some kind of mismatch between what you are and what you do.

    I've been going through some kind of weird identity crisis for a while now and losing my job complicated it. I don't think it's a realistic expectation that I will actually work in the gaming industry, but the course will certainly sort out my digital painting & drawing skills.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment