Wednesday, 2 April 2014

so much to know


I've been really busy - too busy to blog. This is just some of what I have been doing. I've put in a lot of hours on this design job - I certainly won't get paid enough for the amount of work I've done, but I am building knowledge as well as my portfolio. 
I have the 'art' side of it figured and I have been using PhotoShop for ages - but there is so much more to know about the software, print specifications and making sure the image is high quality. I think I will be doing a lot of LYNDA tutorials to build on my sparse knowledge of Illustrator and learn InDesign as well. 

I have also been enrolled in a 'copyright' unit so I can teach it next term and in the process learnt a hell of a lot about copyright. It is a real minefield I'll bet most artists and designers don't even know they are treading in.

These 2 images are spinoffs of the current job I am doing - a couple of happy accidents I rather like that resulted from playing around with filters.

5 comments:

  1. These are great images. (Are they called 'images'? Not sure.)Kind of ghostly and isolating.
    The copyright class sounds great. One of my mates taught that for a while. The day he ate some mull cookies, and then went into teach, finished him off!
    Copyright is such an interesting subject, given the digital times. Blogging alone throws up some dilemmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah.

    Yes copyright turned out to be surprisingly interesting - I found out heaps about how not to breach it and how to protect images. And I was speaking to someone the other day about your experience being ripped off. There may be ways to protect writing - visual artists can embed metadata into their work and pay firms to track it on the internet. Pretty cool stuff. I imagine writers have similar avenues.

    It is a mindfucker of a topic though, things like 'fair use' and 'derivative work' - pretty dodgy stuff, and people breach copyright all the time, including me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely this is a site well worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got here through jerry's recommendation. I love your work.

    ReplyDelete